Saturday, November 24, 2012
Working Out
Thursday morning I woke up early to workout with my older sister. My family stayed at a hotel because we always go to our cousins' house for Thanksgiving break. So, my sister and I decided to get up early and workout in the workout room they have at the hotel. There were only three machines and a jump rope in the room, but it was sufficient for us. My sister was diagnosed with Lymphoma last February but, as of October, she is in remission and does not have cancer anymore, thankfully. She hasn't been able to exercise or workout since she was diagnosed though, so her body is really weak. I've been trying to help her gradually get back into shape, but she tires out really quick. We only did a short 30 minute workout on Thursday because she got winded pretty quick on the treadmill and doing crunches. She wants to be in a little better of shape before she starts going back to the gym. I've given her a few ideas of things she can do at home to start getting her body stronger, like doing leg lifts while she watches tv, lifting cans of vegetables to work her arms, and doing squats here and there. Does anyone have other ideas that could help her out? Or any fun ideas of what she can do to tone up?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
She should try yoga! It is very relaxing and is great for the body. I'm not sure if you have ever used the pinterest app but I love it! It has a ton of great work out ideas and plans for those who don't exercise a lot or are unable to. A lot of the ideas on the app are also designed so that they can be done inside the home where a person feels more comfortable. I get a lot of ideas from this app beacause I'm always stuck at school working and there is never anywhere opne at a good time for me. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeleteMegan, your sister should definitely incorporate resistance training into her regimen. The ACSM recommends 2-3 days per week with 8-10 different activities for resistance training. The two days is if she would want to do a full body workout 2x a week. The three days would be breaking the workout up into large muscle groups i.e. back, arms, legs. The exercises do not have to be with dumbells and barbells. She could just use resistance bands at first.
ReplyDeleteMegan I'm delighted yous sister is cancer free! My cousin is in a similar situation, currently in remission from his own cancer. What he has found to be the best for him is playing with his friends. He was always a sporty person and I think a return to playing games even like 5 a side soccer/basketball with his friends was the best thing for him. Competitive edge takes over and he forgets that he is working out. I think the fun factor is the most important thing when physical activity is tough so I would encourage your sister to do what she loves to do, the rest will take care of itself.
ReplyDelete